Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Happy Pi Day!

Today is Pi Day (and my niece's 12th birthday), and a good excuse to make pie. I took out Vegan Pie in the Sky and had Abram look through it (he’s been home sick the past couple days) and we decided on hand pies. I didn’t have a lot of time so we just used canned cherry filling.
Even though mine didn’t turn out very lovely looking, these were really good and really easy to make. I made a couple of changes. I can’t get plain vegan yogurt here so I used vanilla. And I also used vanilla coconut milk. I think pie crust is generally sort of bland, and growing up I never ate the pie crust, but this pie crust tasted really good.
Last Friday night our whole family went skiing for one last hurrah. Good thing since the ski hill closed on Tuesday. It rained on Monday and it’s been in the 60s and 70s all week. Even I went skiing, for the second time in my life, and we all had a great time! Mark taught Sara how to get up from a fall and she skied down the hill all by herself most of the night. It’s amazing how quickly kids can learn.
Last week I found a bed frame downtown at an occasional store that I wanted to buy for Sara. She was using an Ikea bed that we’ve had for several years and I just never liked it. It just didn’t work well for us (all the kids have used it over the years and it didn't work right for any of them!). So we bought her the bed, and posted the Ikea bed on Craigslist. It sold right away, thankfully. And I love the new bed we bought for her. It’s nice and small and so cute for her. I also picked up the little side table at the same store. I really like the addition of the nook for books on the left side and would like Mark to add some to all of our night stands.
I know the striped paint in her bedroom is hideous. I don’t know what I was thinking with that, but it’s been that way for years, when the girls had that room, and I’ve never liked it. But the sanding of the stripes, priming and repainting has kind of made me put it off. Someday soon I hope to get it done.
On Saturday we headed into the Cities…where I purchased a new sewing machine! Yay, me! My machine broke down a few weeks ago and I’ve had other problems with it recently. For someone who sews frequently, that’s really frustrating. My new machine is nothing fancy, just a little step up from the girls’ machine. I’m not interested in embroidery machines (I like hand embroidery) or machines that do everything for you. I haven’t had much of a chance to sew on it yet, but I did sew together a pillow, and so far I love the machine.
I had previously pieced together this quilted piece so I added a quilted border and back to it and covered a pillow for Sara’s room. We’re having my old machine fixed and Rachel’s going to use it.
We went over to my sister’s after picking up the sewing machine, and stopped by Half Price Books, where I scored three vegan cookbooks at amazing prices (I think they were all in the $5-7 range).
Sara saw some green frosted cake donuts at the grocery store the other day and asked if I'd make some. I've never tried making cake donuts before, so I found a recipe on all recipes and veganized it. These turned out pretty good, but still need some work.
unfrosted
The weather has been summer-like here this week. The kids are having a blast outside!

2 comments:

  1. I forgot how I found your blog but I am glad I did. I myself am still working on perfecting a cake donut recipe. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you find a great recipe, let me know!

    ReplyDelete